The club was founded in 1892 and occupied ground, called the Barniehall Field, near to Hamilton Racecourse. The club began life with a membership of 120 and this has grown in the intervening years to current membership of 500 full members.
Following numerous issues with drainage and subsidence, due to mining works at the original site, the club was relocated to its current home, in grounds owned by the Duke of Hamilton, at Riccarton (known as the High Parks).
Originally, the course was leased from the Duke of Hamilton’s estate, and this arrangement continued for many years. However, discussions continued throughout the period, with a view to Hamilton GC purchasing the ground. After lengthy negotiations in the intervening years, agreement was reached with the Duke’s estate, and the club purchased the ground in 1978.
In 1925, the well renowned course designer, James Braid, was engaged to design the new course. Minor modifications were made subsequently to lengthen the course by almost 300 yards. However, it is remarkable to see the current course layout has changed only marginally from the original design by Braid in 1925.
A new clubhouse was built for the relocation to Riccarton in 1925. Various improvements and refurbishments took place in the 50s and 60s. However, at the 1973 AGM, approval was given for an extensive programme of work to upgrade and extend the clubhouse. In June 1975, coinciding with the fiftieth year at Riccarton, the new clubhouse was officially opened by the Duchess of Hamilton.
Over the years, Hamilton has been widely regarded as one of the foremost clubs in Lanarkshire, and in recognition of this fact, the club has had the distinction of hosting various prestigious events; these have included the International Childrens’ Games in 2011, Ladies Home Internationals and the British Blind Open.